We are at the Corinth Canal that connects the Gulf of Corinth with the Saronic Gulf in the Aegean Sea and separates the Peloponnese from the Greek mainland.
We watch shots of a cement cargo ship crossing the Corinth canal, an international shipping hub. We can see the stern of the ship as it crosses the narrow passage, the decks, the mechanisms and lastly the stern where the engine room is located. Lifeboats on both sides of the engine room, sailors, the Greek flag and on both sides of the stern is written the name of the ship “Cementoklis".
Afterwards, the cinematographer gives us views of a commercial train that crosses the canal over a bridge.
The film closes with footage from the train carriages.
From Periander in 602 BC, Caligula 37 BC, Nero 67 AD, Herodes Atticus, to Kapodistrias, the opening of the Corinth Canal was an impossible construction feat.
During the Zaimis government and with a study conducted by the Hungarian B. Gerfer on Nero’s work, on April 23, 1882, the excavation works of the canal began.
The project was originally commissioned to General István Türr with the privilege of operating the canal for 99 years. Eight years later, the company, ran out of all its funds, collapsed financially and the continuation and completion of the project was transferred to a Greek company under the name "Corinth Canal Company", commissioned by Andreas Syggros.
The inauguration took place on July 25, 1893.