Córdoba is a city in the south of Spain. It is situated on the banks of the Guadalquivir River and is the capital of the region of the same name. The Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos (Castle of the Christian Monarchs) is a medieval fortress in the historical centre of Córdoba which was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994.
Throughout history, the Alcázar has been used as a military building, as a residence for monarchs, as one of the first courts in the Spanish Inquisition, and as a fortress for Napoleon Bonaparte’s troops.
In 1821 the Alcázar was turned into a prison. Finally, in the 1950s, the Spanish government turned it into a tourist site and national monument.
The film begins with shots of the Guadalquivir and then the camera focuses on the Alcázar. We then see the cinematographer walking towards an arch in the inner court of the castle where there is a citrus tree grove and a pond with fish; he and his companion stand at the pond feeding the fish.
A shot of a tower follows, possibly the Torre de los Leones, one of the four that guard the castle, and then shots of the splendid gardens and fountains, as well as the top of another tower.
The final shots are of the road as the visitors leave.