We are in Cologne (Köln), the fourth most populous city in Germany. Centered on the left (west) bank of the Rhine, Cologne is approximately 35 km southeast of the NRW's state capital Düsseldorf and 25 km northwest of Bonn. The filmmaker is on a riverboat tour from Cologne to Koblenz, a German city on the banks of the Rhine.
The film begins with the river Rhine and the riverboat. The lens shows us the Rheinpark with the passers-by and then the area from the boat he’s in as it stands in the bell tower of the Great Saint Martin. Views of the river traffic follow, the Deutz Bridge and one more riverboat. Afterwards, we see the Alt St. Heribert church as well as a brief shot from inside the ship.
The tour starts with the filmmaker giving us views of the city’s building structure with the houses of the area as well as a clock tower in the background. The camera stands on a French-flagged riverboat and then onto a crowded platform with the German flag flying. The riverboat tour continues and we see the impressive buildings. A stop at platforms informing us that we are in Königswinter, a town and summer resort in the Rhein-Sieg region as we see Drachenburg Castle and one more large sign that says Konigswinter.
The filmmaker stands in the Apollinariskirche, a new neo-gothic church, built on the site of a Roman temple on Apollinarisberg, a hill above the German town of Remagen from 1837 to 1852 and then on a sign that tells us we are in the town. The view changes with a building bearing the name of the city of Neuwied as well as its coat of arms, while next to it we see the Castle in the historic center of Neuwied. The yellow castle with its park and twin outbuildings is located on the river bank and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The recording continues in the city of Engers with the church of St. Martin standing out as well as the Engers Castle. Afterwards, we see shots of the Koblenz’s building structure with the Liebfrauenkirche, a Catholic church in the center of the old town of Koblenz.
The film closes with the Electoral Palace in Koblenz, the residence of the last Archbishop and Elector of Trier, Clemens Wenceslaus of Saxony which now houses various offices of the federal government, a woman walking through the palace gardens and the statues of “Father Rhine and Mother Mosel” and Joseph Gorres Denkmal.